March 27, 2017
Dear DCS Parents,
As the weather begins to warm up and as we approach spring break in a week or so, I wanted to send you a few quick updates regarding DCS.
- The school calendar for 2017-2018 is not quite ready but should be sometime later this spring. We will send it out once everything is finalized. One item of note, spring break in 2017-2018 will no longer be the first full week of April. Instead it will be moved to the last week in March. By law, DCS is required to follow the county common calendar for winter and spring breaks. That calendar can be found on our district calendar page.
- Dexter Community Schools is committed to creating unique learning opportunities for our students and continually creates unique experiences for kids. Our most recent opportunity is an exchange program with a partner school in Germany. Aventinus-Gymnasium is a school in Berghausen, Bavaria, Germany. This summer, we have an opportunity to send 10 of our current 8th grade students to Aventinus-Gymnasium (AG) for a 10-day cultural experience with their German partner students visiting Dexter in October. The cost of the entire trip is slightly over the cost of the flight. Information for this exciting opportunity was sent to 8th grade parents last week. For more information, please contact Barb Santo at email@example.com.
- In February, we announced the hiring of a new football coach and high school teacher. Since the initial announcement, the candidate resigned citing an emergency situation he needed to deal with that would distract him from his duties as a head football coach. Philosophically, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Proving that philosophy to be true, we’re excited to have a new Head Football Coach ready to lead our kids on Friday nights. Attached is a press release for the hiring of Phil Jacobs as the new Varsity Head Football Coach. Coach Jacobs has an impressive coaching resume including 25 years of coaching at both the high school and collegiate levels. Over his career as a head coach, Coach Jacobs’ teams qualified for seven consecutive playoff appearances, accumulating a 55-21 win-loss record over that timeframe, five SEC conference titles along with two district titles and regional appearances. He was named National Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year in 2011 and was also recognized as an Outstanding Teacher and Mentor Award Recipient for his work in the classroom. We’re excited to have Coach Jacobs poised to lead, coach, and teach our kids.
In a recent community survey, over 93% of our community gave DCS either an A or B grade for the quality of education while over 97% said they would recommend DCS to a family moving to the area. This is a tremendous show of trust in our school district and we are fortunate to have your continued support.
Thank you for making Dexter a great place to live and Go Dreadnaughts!
Christopher Timmis, Ed.D.
- March 27, 2017
- February 28, 2017 - District Achievements
- January 26, 2017 - Facility Planning
- January Letter -- 10-Year Facility Planning Forum
- December Letter -- EMU Explorers Camp -- December 16, 2016
- November Letter -- November 18, 2016
- October Update -- October 4, 2016
- Almost Back to School -- August 11, 2016
Archived Superintendent Letters
Superintendent Letters -- 2015-16 School Year
- End of Year Letter -- June 9, 2016
- Summer Enrichment Opportunities -- June 2, 2016
- Technology Embezzlement Outcome -- May 23, 2015
- May Update -- May 5, 2016
- Community Budget Update -- April 21, 2016
- Overview of 2016-17 Preliminary Budget Scenarios -- April 13, 2016
- EFD and 2016-17 Calendar Notes -- March 3, 2016
- Water Drive -- January 21, 2016
- Happy Holidays -- December 18, 2015
- District Update -- November 23, 2015
- Transportation Update -- September 8, 2015
- Community Careers Network -- August 20, 2015
Superintendent Letters -- 2014-15 School Year
- Call for Host Families -- July 15, 2015
- End of School Year Letter -- June 4, 2015
- Weighted Grades Update -- May 14, 2015
- Sister Schools -- April 23, 2015
- Annexation Exploration Update -- January 20, 2015
- Annexation Ad Hoc Update -- January 13, 2015
- Winter Weather Closing Decision -- January 8, 2015
- Single Tier Busing Savings -- December 12, 2014
- Annexation Ad Hoc First Meeting -- December 8, 2014
- Winter Weather Reminders -- November 12, 2014
- Dr. Daryl Kipke Named Board Trustee -- November 10, 2014
- DCS Board of Education Vacancy -- October 2, 2014
- Welcome Back to School -- September 19, 2014