January 25, 2017
Dear DCS Parents and Students,
As the semester winds down, we continue to plan for the future of Dexter Community Schools and how we can continue to provide an outstanding education for our students. Our vision statement is Champion Learning: Develop, Educate, and Inspire! This is what we strive for every day. Thank you for your trust in DCS and your continued support.
Quick and Important Announcements:
- The annual State of the School District will be held on February 1st at 7 p.m. at Mill Creek. Along with updates from across the district, we will also focus on our 10-year facility planning and needs. We welcome your input and feedback as part of this process.
- Join us at a Community Forum on the 10-year Facility Plan, which will be held on February 6th at 6:30 p.m. in the Creekside Cafeteria. As we evaluate our needs for the next 10 years and consider funding options, we are seeking your input.
- Kindergarten Information Night is scheduled for Tuesday, February 7th: 6:00pm tours at both K-2 buildings, 6:30pm informational meeting at Cornerstone.
Lastly, the Board of Education has been considering a lease agreement offer to place digital signs on several of our properties. The district was offered $40,000 per year plus an annual escalator for 10 years, monthly advertising of our events at no cost, and $30,000 toward pedestrian activated beacons/lights to provide safer crossing points for students across major roads near our schools. DCS has an obligation to consider and discuss any reasonable offer of $468,000 that could be used to serve students. While this doesn’t mean we should automatically accept any offer, we believe it is important to consider the offer while taking into account community input. As part of this discussion process, the board publicly discussed the proposal on the January 9th and January 23rd meetings. At this time, the board will not be discussing the proposal at the next board meeting on February 13th for several reasons. First, we are currently working through and considering community input received thus far and there is no haste necessary on this proposal. In addition, the February 13th Board of Education meeting will be changed to a single-item agenda and workshop focusing on our 10-year facility planning and next steps.
Thank you for your continued support and Go Dreadnaughts!
Christopher Timmis, Ed.D.
Superintendent Letters -- 2015-16 School Year
- End of Year Letter -- June 9, 2016
- Summer Enrichment Opportunities -- June 2, 2016
- Technology Embezzlement Outcome -- May 23, 2015
- May Update -- May 5, 2016
- Community Budget Update -- April 21, 2016
- Overview of 2016-17 Preliminary Budget Scenarios -- April 13, 2016
- EFD and 2016-17 Calendar Notes -- March 3, 2016
- Water Drive -- January 21, 2016
- Happy Holidays -- December 18, 2015
- District Update -- November 23, 2015
- Transportation Update -- September 8, 2015
- Community Careers Network -- August 20, 2015
Superintendent Letters -- 2014-15 School Year
- Call for Host Families -- July 15, 2015
- End of School Year Letter -- June 4, 2015
- Weighted Grades Update -- May 14, 2015
- Sister Schools -- April 23, 2015
- Annexation Exploration Update -- January 20, 2015
- Annexation Ad Hoc Update -- January 13, 2015
- Winter Weather Closing Decision -- January 8, 2015
- Single Tier Busing Savings -- December 12, 2014
- Annexation Ad Hoc First Meeting -- December 8, 2014
- Winter Weather Reminders -- November 12, 2014
- Dr. Daryl Kipke Named Board Trustee -- November 10, 2014
- DCS Board of Education Vacancy -- October 2, 2014
- Welcome Back to School -- September 19, 2014