Mill Creek Middle School
Grades Seven and Eight
*If you are on the mobile site, click on the menu icon next to the word Schools, then scroll down to see the entire content menu listed under Mill Creek.
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION 2016-1017
August 29, 2016 (Monday) - 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Students new to Dexter - Led by student leaders. Tours with a pizza lunch! Fun way of learning about Mill Creek. New parent orientation with administration - 11:00 am - 12:00 pm.
STUDENT ORIENTATION 2016-1017
August 30, 2016 (Tuesday)
8th grade 3-4:30 pm / 7th grade 6-7:30 pm
School pictures, textbooks, lockers, and schedules will be given out during orientation. Students and families welcome!
Mill Creek has been labeled a National School to Watch, which identifies exemplary middle level programs in Michigan and the United States. Characteristics of a School to Watch include:
- Academically Excellent. These schools challenge all students to use their minds well.
- Responsive to Students’ Needs. These schools are sensitive to the unique developmental challenges of early adolescence.
- Socially Equitable. These schools are democratic and fair, providing every student with high-quality teachers, resources, and supports.
Mill Creek uses research-based team teaching. Students also have choice to explore a variety of programs through our elective program, which offers over 50 courses students may choose from. We use Carnegie Turning Points and Breaking Ranks in the Middle recommendations to:
- Create small communities
- Teach a core academic program
- Ensure success for all students
- Empower teachers and administrators
- Staff middle grade schools with teachers who are experts
- Improve academic performance through fostering health and fitness
- Reengage families
- Connect schools with communities
Our primary goal is to provide an academically challenging program while addressing the social and emotional needs of all children. Staff strive to give each child a sense of belonging as students navigate the adolescent years.