Enrollment & Registration Info
Welcome to Dexter Community Schools!
Please click on the items below to expand the information on each topic.
If you are enrolling a student during the school year, please contact the school office where your student will attend. Although we have two K-2 buildings, parents of new kindergarten through 2nd grade students should use the Cornerstone office as your first point of contact.
- Cornerstone/Bates -- young fives through second grades (734) 424-4120
- Wylie -- third and fourth grades (734) 424-4140
- Creekside -- fifth and sixth grades (734) 424-4160
- Mill Creek -- seventh and eighth grades (734) 424-4150
- Dexter High School -- ninth through twelfth grades (734) 424-4240
Our enrollment process has two steps: complete the enrollment packet (see Registration below), and come to either the school office (during the school year) or the main office at Copeland (during the summer): 7714 Ann Arbor St., Dexter MI 48130 with an original birth certificate and proof of residence.
For families enrolling during the summer months (Mid-June through the second full week of August), please contact our central office to enroll your student: (734) 424-4100, ext. 1002. We are available Wednesday mornings to accept new student registrations, or you may make an appointment at another time that is convenient for you.
Our enrollment process has two steps: complete the enrollment packet (see Registration below), and come to the district office at Copeland: 7714 Ann Arbor St., Dexter MI 48130 with an original birth certificate and proof of residence.
Kindergarten and Young Fives Enrollment
Michigan law requires students to be five years old by September 1st in order to enroll in kindergarten. The Young Fives program is designed for students with late summer and fall birthdays. The decision whether to enroll a late-summer birthday 5-year-old in Young Fives vs. Kindergarten is something we recommend discussing with our staff so we can find the developmentally appropriate program for each student. (Kindergarten waiver requests are available for students who will turn five between September 1st and December 1st, please see the waiver request form for further information.)
Our Kindergarten and Young Fives Information Night is held each February. This is an adults-only event. Parents tour both K-2 buildings. and attend an informational meeting at Cornerstone Elementary's cafeteria for all parents.
Kindergarten and Young Fives Round-up and Registration is held at the Copeland Administration Building (7714 Ann Arbor St.) on two half-days in April. Our Young Fives program has limited enrollment; spaces are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Families with older siblings already enrolled in the district have priority within that group.
Dexter Community Schools is a limited school of choice district. This means we have two windows during which families from neighboring intermediate school districts can apply to attend DCS as school of choice students. For more information, please see our School of Choice page.
Enrolling Students Who Have Been Accepted as School of Choice Students
Our enrollment process has two steps: complete the enrollment packet (see Registration below), and come to the district office at Copeland: 7714 Ann Arbor St., Dexter MI 48130 with an original birth certificate and proof of residence. (SOC students need to provide proof of residence in their home district).
How to Return Your Paperwork:
Parents and guardians may complete the bulk of your registration paperwork online, if desired. After you submit the registration packet, you will need to bring additional forms to our office in person: an original birth certificate (we will make a copy), and proof of residence documents (as indicated on the residency form).
Tip: use the Highlight Fields button to easily see what information is needed.
There are two methods to submit the registration packet:
- Online: Sign electronically where indicated. (Here are instructions to set up a digital signature.) Complete the form, save it to your computer or portable drive, then attach it to an email and send it to our office via email.
- Hard Copy: Complete the form, print it, and return it to our office: Dexter Community Schools Student Registration, 7714 Ann Arbor Street, Dexter MI 48130. (This is a big time saver because the form fields are linked so you don't have to re-type the same information for each form.)
If you don't have access to a printer, call us to send one or pick one up at our office, complete it, and return it to our office at the address above.
Please use the following links to complete the appropriate new student registration materials for your student:
Change of Address
Already enrolled in the district but need to change your address with us? Please use the following form to do so:
Proof of Residence
At enrollment, and any time you change your address, you will need to verify your residency. School of Choice students must residency documents must verify that they live in the Washtenaw Intermediate School District or a contiguous Intermediate School District (ISD). The follow documents are acceptable:
- Most recent property tax statement from your issuing tax authority;
- -OR- Closing papers for a recent sale (feel free to redact financial info and/or social security numbers);
- - OR- Contract to build a house with estimated completion date.
- A lease in your name AND a utility bill at that address;
- -OR- A lease in your name and a written statement from the landlord that utilities are included;
- -OR- A notarized statement from a Dexter Schools homeowner/taxpayer indicating that you share living space and the dates of residence (for example, in the case of living with relatives or friends long-term).