Dexter's first school was built in 1830 on "B" Street downtown, with a second school built next door in 1843. Dexter Union Schoolhouse was built in 1857 at 7714 Ann Arbor Street , the site of the present-day “Copeland Building”. This facility was rebuilt in 1887 with a major addition in 1936. In 1950, twelve local districts were consolidated to form the district known as “Dexter Agricultural Schools,” now known as Dexter Community Schools.
Dexter Community Schools serves approximately 3600 students and includes the City of Dexter and parts of eight townships: Dexter, Webster, Scio, Northfield, Hamburg, Lima, Freedom, and Lodi.
The Dexter Community Schools Campus includes nine buildings within walking distance of each other: Jenkins ECLC Preschool; Bates School (which houses half day preschool, Community Education, and the DCS administrative offices); Anchor and Beacon (which make up the Dexter Early Elementary C0mplex), Wylie Elementary, Creekside Intermediate, Mill Creek Middle, Dexter High School, and Dexter Alternative School.