July 29, 2020 – SUPT. LETTER TO FAMILIES
Dear DCS Families and Students,
For the past several weeks, our DCS Return to School Planning team has been meeting to create the DCS plan for the fall of 2020. The requirements by the state are to create a plan for Phases 1-3, Phase 4 (our current phase), and Phase 5 that address the requirements in the Return to School Roadmap. Today, we completed a draft plan. The draft plan includes two options for families: A Homeroom Option that includes a phased approach to face-to-face instruction and a Home-based Option that is virtual for any family who chooses this model.
We are committed to the safety of our students, families, and staff. The draft plan is an effort to educate our students within the context of a public health crisis. A public presentation will be held on Monday, August 3rd at 6:00 p.m. as part of the DCS Board of Education meeting (more details below). To attend this meeting, please register in advance at: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qpVPmY25SGyvg0i48ZC8ZQ
Our timeline for finalizing the plan is as follows:
- Friday, July 31st at 10 a.m. - Staff overview and feedback session
- Monday, August 3rd at 6 p.m. - DCS Board of Education Meeting - This meeting is a unique format. The meeting will begin with a public presentation of the draft plan with opportunities for feedback, questions, and clarification. This part of the meeting is scheduled from approximately 6:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. After the presentation, the agenda will move forward and will include a board discussion of the draft plan. After the Board discussion, the meeting will open for public participation. To attend this meeting, please register in advance at: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qpVPmY25SGyvg0i48ZC8ZQ
- Tuesday, August 4th - Friday, August 7th: Internal processing by the DCS Return to School Planning team of feedback and modifications to draft plan.
- Thursday, August 6th at 6:30 p.m.: DCS Online options informational meeting for interested parents. Please visit the following link to register for this webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_n12gVT7SQ-ijIsEj2zqpwQ
- Monday, August 10th at 7:00 p.m.: DCS Board of Education Meeting with final plan scheduled for discussion/approval
- August 17th: All plans are due to the State
Today, the MHSAA released their most recent update on athletics. The overview is available at: https://secondhalf.mhsaa.com/All-News/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/9181/Rep-Council-Approves-Phased-In-Fall . Once we finish working through individual sport guidance, we will send further information.
Thank you for your commitment to DCS students and each other. Take care, wear a mask, and Go Dreads!
Christopher Timmis, EdD