December 11, 2019
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you to those who were able to attend the Community Conversation in November to discuss the results of the K12 Special Education Survey and Focus Groups. As we shared in the meeting, the results of the survey indicated that overall parents are very satisfied with the special education programs and services offered through the Dexter Community Schools. The results also identified opportunities where the district can continue to improve. The primary areas for improvement were communication and training. As a result of the survey data the district has already begun to implement the following changes:
- Increased communication to parents on their students present levels and proposed goals prior to IEP meetings
- Additional teacher professional development in the area of supporting students with disabilities
- Additional parent trainings
- Development of a Parent Advisory Committee
- Improved sharing of community resources to families
- Expand building-to-building transition supports
The summary of results prepared by K12 Insight for your information and review is attached. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this with me in person please feel free to schedule an appointment.
In addition, the following community resource flyers, with events and training that may be of interest to you, are attached.
- 5 Tips for Holiday Shopping with Children on the Autism Spectrum
- WISD Parent Advisory Committee Resources for Parents
- Turning 18 with a Developmental Disability in Washtenaw County
- Michigan Family Connection Newsletter
- WACA Information about Family Support Subsidy Program
- Dexter Special Olympics Basketball
I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season and I look forward to our continued work together in 2020!
Director of Special Education