January 14, 2019
Dear Dexter Families and Staff,
Thank you for a wonderful start to 2019. Please remember that DCS is closed on Monday, January 21st in recognition of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday and all students have a half day (high school exams) on Thursday, January 24th and Friday, January 25th. A full school year calendar with start/end times is available on our website.
As a quick reminder, the second session of our Adolescent Mental Health Book Study will be held on Tuesday, January 15th at 6:00 p.m. in the Mill Creek Cafeteria. Please join us in this important work to best support our kids.
This school year has been filled with construction. Here’s a quick update on construction-related items:
- The New Elementary School, Beacon Elementary, is almost complete and ready for students. In just a couple of weeks, the halls will be filled with our current Bates Elementary students and staff. Our plan is to begin students in the buildings on Thursday, January 24th (half-day) and Friday, January 25th (half-day) with the first full day in the classrooms on Monday, January 28th. A photo of a current classroom is included below. Final touches, furniture, and moving are underway. Thank you to the entire Dexter Community for your support.
- The Dexter Early Education Complex Dedication will be held on Monday, February 11th at 5:00 p.m. in the commons at Anchor and Beacon Elementary Schools on Dan Hoey Road. The ceremony will officially dedicate the buildings and will provide an opportunity to tour and see the building. In December, the DCS Board of Education approved naming for the complex and both elementary schools. The Cornerstone Anchors will now become Anchor Elementary and the Bates Beacons will become Beacon Elementary as part of the new Dexter Early Education Complex.
- The new Alternative Education space is nearing completion on Shield Road (photo below).
- Drainage at Creekside - Thanks to the generosity of DCS voters, we were able to replace 60+-year-old drainage at Creekside Intermediate School over the winter break. This work was only possible with the support of the 2017 bond.
- New Diving Boards - As part of the bond projects, we are replacing the diving boards at the Wylie Community Pool. The boards are decades old and have reached the end of their usable life.
- Fields & Fencing - Continuing through the winter will be completion of the fencing around the new quad fields on Baker Road, around Beacon Elementary, and at the new tennis (and pickleball) courts on Dan Hoey Road.
- Mill Creek Additions - Work has begun on the new band room construction, choir room, and flexible learning space addition. The work will continue and is scheduled to be completed this fall.
- Wylie Office and Secure Entrance - Work has begun in converting the old (unused) locker room at Wylie Elementary School into a new office and secure entrance that mirrors our other elementary schools. Once completed, the existing office will be converted into classroom space. The work is scheduled to be completed in the fall.
Thank you for your continued support, have a great week, and Go Dreads!
Sincerely,Christopher Timmis, Ed.D.Superintendent
- June 8, 2018
- April 20, 2018
- March 23, 2018
- March 9, 2018
- February 27, 2018 - School Safety
- February 16 - WSA_Shooting_Response
- February 13, 2018
- January 24, 2018
- December 1, 2017
- Conceptual Draft - Bond Update Meeting November 6, 2017 (Community Forum)
- November 3, 2017
- Campus Layout 11-3-2017
- Bond Sale Press Release 11-1-2017
- October 22, 2017
- October 5, 2017
- August 11, 2017
- August 1, 2017
- July 13, 2017
- June 28, 2017
- May 9, 2017
- April 11, 2017
- March 27, 2017
- February 28, 2017 - District Achievements
- January 26, 2017 - Facility Planning
- January Letter -- 10-Year Facility Planning Forum
- December Letter -- EMU Explorers Camp -- December 16, 2016
- November Letter -- November 18, 2016
- October Update -- October 4, 2016
- Almost Back to School -- August 11, 2016
Superintendent Letters -- 2015-16 School Year
- End of Year Letter -- June 9, 2016
- Summer Enrichment Opportunities -- June 2, 2016
- Technology Embezzlement Outcome -- May 23, 2015
- May Update -- May 5, 2016
- Community Budget Update -- April 21, 2016
- Overview of 2016-17 Preliminary Budget Scenarios -- April 13, 2016
- EFD and 2016-17 Calendar Notes -- March 3, 2016
- Water Drive -- January 21, 2016
- Happy Holidays -- December 18, 2015
- District Update -- November 23, 2015
- Transportation Update -- September 8, 2015
- Community Careers Network -- August 20, 2015
Superintendent Letters -- 2014-15 School Year
- Call for Host Families -- July 15, 2015
- End of School Year Letter -- June 4, 2015
- Weighted Grades Update -- May 14, 2015
- Sister Schools -- April 23, 2015
- Annexation Exploration Update -- January 20, 2015
- Annexation Ad Hoc Update -- January 13, 2015
- Winter Weather Closing Decision -- January 8, 2015
- Single Tier Busing Savings -- December 12, 2014
- Annexation Ad Hoc First Meeting -- December 8, 2014
- Winter Weather Reminders -- November 12, 2014
- Dr. Daryl Kipke Named Board Trustee -- November 10, 2014
- DCS Board of Education Vacancy -- October 2, 2014
- Welcome Back to School -- September 19, 2014