DHS Counseling Department
The mission of the Dexter High School counseling department is to provide high quality, comprehensive school counseling services to all students. Our program, as guided by the ASCA National Model, is designed to help all students develop and enhance their academic, career, and personal/social strengths in order to become responsible and productive citizens. There is a commitment to individual uniqueness and the maximum development of human potential. Through the skillful use of strategic, timely, and personal interventions, counselors customize educational experiences in order to enhance capabilities, close achievement gaps among high and low performing groups and support positive choices.
Read more about our guiding principles, services, standards, and focus areas in our School Counseling Mission Statement.
Dexter Community Schools is a part of the Washtenaw ISD/Wayne RESA 403b/457 Plan developed to provide employees with an excellent retirement savings
The Standard will be doing a presentation about retirement planning and saving for your retirement next Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:30 pm in the Creekside Media Center.
If you've been meaning to start a 403b or 457 retirement plan and just haven't had the opportunity, please come. The Standard will also help you enroll in the plan.
Please respond and let me know if you (and your spouse is welcome) plan to attend the session on November 19 so we can plan appropriately.
The 2015 elective deferral limits are:
403b $18,000 + $6,000 for individuals age 50 or over
457 $18,000 + $6,000 for individuals age 50 or over
You can participate in either or both plans, so you can effectively defer $36,000 in the 2015 calendar year into the retirement plans ($48,000 if you're age 50 or over).
If you can't make the meeting or would like more information about our plan, we have put together a comprehensive web page: http://www.
A few points to keep in mind:
1) YOU are the one in control of YOUR retirement. This plan makes it
easy for YOU to save for YOUR retirement.
2) "Just tell me what to do!" SAVE FOR YOUR RETIREMENT.
3) The 403b/457 deductions come out of your paycheck BEFORE taxes. It reduces your taxable income NOW and you don't pay taxes on that money until you take it out when you retire. It doesn't cost you as much as you might think.
4) How do you get started?
1. Do the Investor Profile Quiz: Investor Profile Quiz (to help you decide which investment to choose)
2. Fill out the Investing Form to tell us where to put your money: 403(b) Investing Form (which investments you choose)
3. Fill out the Savings Form to tell us what percentage of your pay to invest: 403(b) Savings Form(how much to take out of your paycheck) The average Dexter Schools employee contributes 11% of his/her pay.
4. Fill out the Beneficiary Form: 403(b) Beneficiary Designation (name your beneficiary if you are new to the plan)
5. Send or turn the forms into the Payroll & Benefits office at Copeland.
Call The Standard (800)858-5420 and enroll on the phone.
We're here in the Business Office at Copeland if you have questions, Mike or I are glad to help you.