DHS Counseling Department
The mission of the Dexter High School counseling department is to provide high quality, comprehensive school counseling services to all students. Our program, as guided by the ASCA National Model, is designed to help all students develop and enhance their academic, career, and personal/social strengths in order to become responsible and productive citizens. There is a commitment to individual uniqueness and the maximum development of human potential. Through the skillful use of strategic, timely, and personal interventions, counselors customize educational experiences in order to enhance capabilities, close achievement gaps among high and low performing groups and support positive choices.
Read more about our guiding principles, services, standards, and focus areas in our School Counseling Mission Statement.
This message was emailed to all currently registered families on August 13, 2018.
***Updated 8/13, 3:00pm. Please see the half-day young five schedule clarification and Creekside New Student Orientation correction below -- marked with ***
Back to School Student Information Review
Each August, all parents and guardians must review their students' contact and emergency information in our back-to-school gateway. This process is also a critical step for Athletics registration.
The update process is simple. To log in, go to the Update Gateway.
Your username is your student's PowerSchool student ID number. Your password is the student's birthdate, in this format: MM/DD/YYYY including the slashes.
Follow the prompts, then sign electronically where indicated and submit. Repeat for each student.
- If you need to update your address, with us, please use the Change of Address form.
- If you need to update your student's medical information, please use the Medical Update form found on the District Nurse's webpage.
- If you can't recall your student's PowerSchool ID, please contact the school or district office for assistance.
We encourage all families to complete this process by August 24th.
School Year Calendar Notes
Tuesday, September 4th is the first day of school. It is a half day. These are the school start and end times for the 2018-19 calendar year:
- Bates, Cornerstone, Wylie, and Mill Creek: 8:14am - 11:40am
- Creekside and Dexter High School: 8:00am - 11:25am
- Half-Day Young Five Program: 8:14am - 11:40am***
- Full-Day Young Five Program: 8:14am - 11:40am***
- Bates, Cornerstone, Wylie, and Mill Creek: 8:14am - 3:06pm
- Creekside and Dexter High School: 8:00am - 2:52pm
- Half-Day Young Five Program: 8:14am - 11:25am***
- Full-Day Young Five Program: 8:14am - 3:06pm***
You can find the district calendar and links to each building's calendar on our website.
Open Houses and Orientations
New student orientations are for students/families who are new to Dexter Community Schools (except kindergarteners and young fives).
- Dexter High School Freshmen & New Student Orientation:Thurs. Aug. 23rd 8am-12:30pm
- Mill Creek New Student Orientation:Mon. Aug. 27th 11am-1pm
- Bates New Student Orientation: Mon. Aug 27th 1:00pm-2:00pm
- Cornerstone New Student Orientation:Mon. Aug. 27th 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Wylie New Student Orientation:Mon. Aug. 27th 4pm-5pm
- Dexter High School Parent Meeting - for parents of new students and parents of all ninth graders: Mon. Aug. 27th 6pm-7pm
- Creekside New Student Orientation:Tues. Aug. 28th 10am-11am Monday, Aug. 27th 10am - 11am***
Mill Creek Grade Orientations are for all students:
- 8th grade:Tues. Aug. 28th 3pm-4pm
- 7th grade:Tues. Aug. 28th 6pm-7pm
Open Houses are for all families:
- Jenkins ECLC Family Open House: Wed. Aug. 22nd 6pm-7pm
- Cornerstone: Tues. Aug. 28th 5pm - 6pm
- Bates: Tues. Aug. 28th 5:30pm - 6:30pm
- Creekside: Wed. Aug. 29th 5pm - 6pm
- Wylie: Wed. Aug. 29th 6pm - 7pm
- Dexter High School: Wed. Sept. 5th 6pm-8pm
- Mill Creek: Thurs. Sept. 6th 6:30pm-8:30pm
We will see you soon!