DHS Counseling Department
The mission of the Dexter High School counseling department is to provide high quality, comprehensive school counseling services to all students. Our program, as guided by the ASCA National Model, is designed to help all students develop and enhance their academic, career, and personal/social strengths in order to become responsible and productive citizens. There is a commitment to individual uniqueness and the maximum development of human potential. Through the skillful use of strategic, timely, and personal interventions, counselors customize educational experiences in order to enhance capabilities, close achievement gaps among high and low performing groups and support positive choices.
Read more about our guiding principles, services, standards, and focus areas in our School Counseling Mission Statement.
Back to School Student Info Review
The following emails were sent out to the parents/guardians of all students who are enrolled for fall 2019. If you did not receive your emails, please check your spam folder, then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your student name(s) and birthdates.
Dear Parent or Guardian of (your child's name will be here)–
School starts in a few short weeks! Some quick reminders:
- Here are the back-to-school events and school calendar in case you misplaced them over the summer.
- Secretaries returned last week and will be working with principals on class placement letters. These will be mailed home the week of August 19th. (Please do not call our offices looking for your placement ahead of time, we won't be able to answer.)
- if you moved over the summer, you must complete a change-of-address form as soon as possible. This will ensure you will get back to school letters and transportation can plan routes. Instructions are on the form.
- Transportation is currently routing buses. Tentative bus schedules will be posted online during the week of August 19th.
- If you need to update your student's medical information, please use the Medical Update form found on the District Nurse's webpage.
Each year all parents must annually review their student's information as well as acknowledge policies and procedures (including requirements for athletics participation). We do this online using our back-to-school gateway.
The update process is simple. To log in, go to the Update Gateway.
Your username is your student's PowerSchool student ID number. [your student's PS ID will be here in the email]
Your password is the student's birthdate, in this format: MM/DD/YYYY including the slashes. (Most issues with this process involve typos or the birthdate format.)
Follow the prompts, then sign electronically where indicated and submit. Repeat for each student.
If you have any questions, please contact your school office.
Here is a photo of the login screen with additional pointers: